Tuesday, December 12, 2006

6-LAODICEA (" Revelation 3:14-22, colossians 2:1, 4:13-16 ")





Laodicea on the Lycus (Eskihisar) is thought to have been founded by the Seleucid King Antiochus II Theos (261-246 BCE) and named after his wife Laodice. The name of the river Lycus (Çürûksu) near which it was founded was attached to the name of the city to distinguish it from the other settlements of the same name. The Lyucus was a tributary of the river Meander whose water has been a major source of the region's agricultural wealth.As usual the spot chosen for the new city was on the most important trade and military route from the Aegean coast to the interior of Anatolia.

The origin of the city goes back to the 3rd century B.C. It is thought to have been named to the honor of king Antiochus II's wife Laodicea.Cicero is known to be lived in the city in 50 B.C. Laodicea was on the crossroads between the important Ionian cities of that time. This helped the city become wealthy because of high volume of commercial activity in the region.There was a rich and influencial Jewish community long before the Christian era. But, most of the locals worshipped Zeus more than any other god. During the time of St.John, the church of Laodicea was one of the seven most important churches of Christianity.

God's message to the church of Laodicea which was written in Revelation (3:14-22),he said :

(3:14) To the angel of the church in Laodicea write : This is the message from the Amen, the faithful and true witness, who is the origin of all that God has created.

(3:15) I know what you have done; I know you are neither cold nor hot. How I wish you were either one or the other!

(3:16) But because you are lukewarm, neither hot nor cold, I am going to spit you out of my mouth!

(3:17) You say, 'I am rich and well off; I have all I need.' But you do not know how miserable and pitiful you are! You are poor, naked, and blind.

(3:18) I advise you, then, to buy gold from me, pure gold, in order to be rich. Buy also white clothing to dress yourself and cover up your shameful nakedness.

(3:19) I rebuke and punish all whom I love. Be in earnest, then, and turn from your sins.

(3:20) Listen! I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come into his house and eat with him, and he will eat with me.

(3:21) To those who win the victory I will give the right to sit beside me on my throne, just as I have been victorious and now sit by my Father on his throne.

(3:22) If you have ears, then, listen to what the Holy Spirit says to the churches!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!