Tuesday, December 12, 2006

2-THYATIRA (" Currently Akhisar Revelation 2:18-29 ; Acts 16:14 ")




Thyatira (Akhisar) was an insignificant town until it was refounded by Seleucus Nicator in the beginning of the 3rd century BC. It was originally a military fort but lost this purpose with the Pax Romana and became a wealthy commercial city. The city had a number of trade guilds. Every skilled worker was a member of a union (listed as tailors, woolworkers,tanners, potters, bakers, etc). Commercial guilds in Thyatira were connected with the pagan religions of the city and involved participation in pagan rituals,feasts and celebrations.

The ancient city of Thyatira (Akhisar) is located approximately 80 Kms to the north-east of Smyrna (Izmir) and lies mostly under the current city of Akhisar. Only the temple of Apollo, an ancient church and a collonaded road remained till today.

The city was founded by Lydians and named as Pelopio. Selucus Nicator, one of the generals of Alexander the Great, took over the control of the city in the 3rd century B.C. and changed its name to Thyatira. During the following centuries Pergamum became the ruler of the city. It was lying on a very flat land and was very hard to defend.

Apollo was the most influencial god of Thyatira.

After 100 B.C. the Roman influence was very apparent. The earliest settlers of the city were the Jews. There was a large colony of Jewish settlers known to be living in the city throughout the centuries.

In his letter to the church and the Christian citizens of Thyatira, St.John was writing :Revelation

(2:18) To the angel of the church in Thyatira write :This is the message from the Son of God, whose eyes blaze like fire, whose feet shine like polished brass.

(2:19) I know what you do. I know your love, your faithfulness, your service, and your patience. I know that you are doing more now than you did at first.

(2:20) But this is what I have against you : you tolerate that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a messenger of God. By her teaching she misleads my servants into practicing sexual immortality and eating food that has been offered to idols.

(2:21) I have her time to repent of her sins, but she does not want to turn from her immortality.

(2:22) And so I will throw her on a bed where she and those who committed adultery with her will suffer terribly. I will do this now unless they repent of the wicked things they did with her.

(2:23) I will also kill her followers, and then all the churches will know that I am the one who knows everyone's thoughts and wishes. I will repay each one of you according to what he has done.

(2:24) But the rest of you in Thyatira have not followed this evil teaching; you have not learned what the others call 'the deep secrets of Satan.' I say to you that I will not put any other burden on you.

(2:25) But until I come, you must hold firmly to what you have.

(2:26-28) To those who win the victory, who continue to the end to do what I want, I will give the same authority that I received from my Father : I will give them authority over the nations, to rule them with and iron rod and to break thm to pieces like clay pots. I will also give them the morning star.

(2:29) If you have ears, then, listen to what the Spirit says to the churches!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

jntvrln zbb rvkft hand job clips

wvoyc!

fcjye flzyoq bkt solo girl